As 2016 comes to an end, it’s time to recap on the best moments that happened throughout the year. 2016 was a ride to say the least consisting of happiness, sadness, anger, frustrations, shock and many more. There were plentiful of events, an abundance of new films, and also new album releases to bring joy.
Favourite Celebrity Encounter (TOP 5): Vin Diesel, Amy Adams, Meghan Markle, Natasha Lyonne, Morena Baccarin
I feel like 2016 was the best year of celebrity encounters, as there was batch after batch. You can view all of them on my entertainment instagram (@neverfallaprt), but here is a short summary.
January – Lucy Hale
February – Vin Diesel, Jason Sudeikis, Hugh Jackman, Alessia Cara, Taryn Manning
March – Charlie Puth, Hayley Atwell, Victoria Baldesarra, Michael Bonacini, Peter Brown, Kristian Bruun, Madison Ferguson, Ana Golja, Jake Goodman, Sarah Hanlon, Jonny Harris, Ricardo Hoyos, Justin Kelly, Dan Levy, Huse Madhavji, Emilia McCarthy, Annie Murphy, Shailyn Pierre-Dixon, Jennifer Robertson, Julia Taylor Ross, Brad Smith, Jordan Todosey, Trevor Tordjman, Charles Vandervaart
April – Richard Sammel, Tony Jaa, Mike Bisping, Rick Hoffman
May – Donnie Yen, Meghan Markle, Stephen Amell, Emblem 3, Megan Nicole
June – Nick Jonas, Meghan Markle, Jamie Alexander, Milo Ventimiglia, Sarah Drew, Charlie Weber, Liza Weil, Justin Cornwell, Shawn Ashmore, Alison Sweeney, Kristian Bruun, Ari Millen, Erica Durance, Michael Shanks, Eddie Cahill, Ben Hollingsworth, Mireille Enos, Kevin Zegers, Jessica Lucas , Melanie Chandra, Harry Ford, Clark Gregg, Giacomo Gianniotti and Dr. Oz.
July – Samira Wiley, Dasha Polanco, Gwyneth Paltrow, Hayley Atwell
September – Naomi Grossman, Erika Ervin, Matt Fraser, Katie Cassidy, John Barrowman, Morena Baccarin, Danielle Panabaker, Chris Pratt, Hayley Bennett, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D’Onofrio, Byung HunLee, Manuel Garcia Rulfo, Martin Sensmeier, Oliver Stone, Robbie Amell, Joel Edgerton, Aaron Eckhart, Emma Stone, Amy Adams, Rosemarie Dewitt, Damien Chazelle, Mark Duplass, Michelle Rodriguez, Rebecca Hall, Jacob Tremblay, Shahab Hosseini
October – Paul Lee, Simu Liu, Jean Yoon, Andrew Phung, Nichole Power, Martha Stewart, Adele, Natasha Lyonne
November – Eddie Redmayne, Ezra Miller, Katherine Waterston, David Yates, Allison Sudol, David Heyman
It was a wild and crazy year! I couldn’t choose ONE favourite, so I chose my favourite 5 from 2016, which was still difficult…
- Vin Diesel because he was always one of my favourite actors of all time, especially being such a huge fan of the Fast and Furious franchise. It was an absolute dream meeting him, as it didn’t seem possible or really unlikely at the time. To think I was the first one to meet him on set of filming xXx: Return of Xander Cage with my best friend! The extreme cold was totally worth it, although we were just about to freeze.
- Amy Adams because she’s also been one of my favourite actresses, but never thought I would meet as well. When I heard she was coming to TIFF this year, she was on my top 10 list with little hope to meeting her. Surprisingly, I did! And I love my photo too. She was so kind, such an angel and she is beautiful. That was the TIFF highlight of this year, and one of my favourite encounters to date. Not to mention she killed it in the two TIFF films, Nocturnal Animals and Arrival.
- Meghan Markle because she was the LAST member of the Suits cast to meet on my list! Those who know me, know how much I love suits and have been watching since season 2. I’ve met everyone else from the cast besides Meghan for some odd reason, when she’s the nicest and sweetest person. My time finally came this year and I had the opportunity to meet her while she was filming and grab a quick snap before she had to run off. Would love to have an actual conversation with her about food, foodies for life!
- Natasha Lyonne because she is awesome. If you’ve watched her in OITNB or her other films and shows, you’d know what type of person she is. She’s extremely chill and fun to be around, but she can also be serious! When I had the unexpected pleasure of meeting her, that was one of my favourite celebrity encounters – ever, not just this year! She was extremely kind, gracious and also listening. We had a real conversation about my future (lol) and she gave me some advice/tips. It was amazing. We snapchatted a dog filter video too lol, it was really fun.
- Morena Baccarin because loved her in firefly! She did a stunning job, even if the show was a decade more ago, I was an extremely latecomer onto that bandwagon but it was nice to cross her off my list this year at fanexpo when I had the chance. Especially when I hear she cancels a lot of her con appearances!
Concert Highlight: Adele LIVE
A few of the concerts I’ve attended this year was…
- April – Rihanna ANTI World Tour
- May – Emblem 3 (Skipped Beyonce due to conflict)
- July – Demi Lovato & Nick Jonas FUTURE World Tour
- October – Adele LIVE!
*Troye Sivan was in November as well, but due to conflict of events (Fantastic Beasts) I had to give up my Troye experience this year. My favourite concert was hands down Adele, although all of them were fabulous. I’ve waited to hear Adele live for years, so attending her show this year was a big highlight for me and the biggest accomplishment in obtaining my hands on tickets. Her show was one of the best I’ve attended in years, and you can read all about my recap in my previous posts.
Album highlight: Joanne.
This choice is probably bias since Gaga is my favourite singer/role model/person/etc, but Joanne was deep, emotional and personal. The vibe was different than her previous albums, but it was one to enjoy. Personally, my favourite songs from the album were Perfect Illusion, John Wayne, Dancin’ in Circles, Angel Down, Grigio Girls and Million Reasons.
Autograph Highlight: Scarlett Johansson.
It’s not a surprise Scarlett Johansson is my favourite actress, and second favourite person after Gaga… so obtaining her autograph on a black widow funko pop has become my favourite autographed item. I’m already a collector of funko pops, and autographs (occasionally), so being able to combine the two blew my mind. The photo on the side showcases my black widow funko collection, (aka scarlett) and on the bottom left is the signed funko 🙂 I even shelled out big time this year on a black widow (captain america winter soldier) prototype on the top right. You can see the prototype vs the actual pop made which is quite cool as a collector.
Few other autographs from this year would be my Stephen Amell signed arrow pops, Clark Gregg signed Agent Coulson pop, Jaimie Alexander signed Lady Sif pop, Katie Cassidy signed Black Canary pop, John Barrowman signed Malcolm Merlyn pop, Naomi Grossman signed Pepper pop, Eddie Redmayne signed Newt Scamander pop and finally two signed Joanne album covers by Lady Gaga. xoxo
Event Highlight: CTV Upfronts
Too many events to choose from this year, but I would have to say CTV Upfronts takes the cake. As a first timer at the event, it turned out to be extremely successful, relaxing and also an instant favourite. It reminded me of the New York upfront I attended a few years back, but better. Also met new friends, so that’s always a plus 🙂 The turnout was fantastic, and I got to meet four of my favourites which were Jaimie Alexander (Blindspot), Clark Gregg (Agents of Shield), Liza Weil and Charlie Weber (How to Get Away with Murder). Not to mention, my third and fourth signed pops for the year – Lady Sif and Agent Coulson.
Film Highlight: Nocturnal Animals
There were plenty of amazing films this year, many of which I had the pleasure of attending the advance screenings for. One particular highlight would be Nocturnal Animals, which was first released at TIFF earlier this year. The reason why I loved Nocturnal Animals can be read in my movie review, but in short – it was different, mesmerizing and strikingly beautiful. I’m usually not a fan of psychological thrillers, but this film captures you from the beginning (in a disturbing way might I add) and takes your full attention from then on.
Few other noteworthy films I saw this year (from the top of my head) would include Arrival, Sing (unfinished version at TIFF), Moana, and Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them.